Information about the South Amherst Fire Department
The Village of South Amherst is very proud of its Fire Department. The Fire Department was established in 1932. The first engine was purchased for the Fire Department in 1936, and is still in the department's possession today. The South Amherst Fire Department consists of volunteers, who are constantly being trained in various fire and medical procedures. They give their time to serve and protect the citizens within their protection district.
The South Amherst Fire Department serves approximately 9,000 residents and protects approximately 32 square miles. The Fire Department protects the Village of South Amherst as well as sections of four townships (Amherst, Brownhelm, Henrietta and New Russia). We also cover a section of the Ohio Turnpike.
The South Amherst Fire Department is staffed by 25 firefighters, who respond to all fire, hazmat, and rescue, and are first responders for EMS calls within the Fire Department's protection district. The South Amherst Fire Department currently has three engines, one tanker, one rescue and one brush truck.
The South Amhert Fire Department is looking for individuals who are willing to help their neighbors and community. The Fire Department will pay for all training necessary for those interested in making a difference. If you are interested, contact us at (440) 986-5901.