The Village of South Amherst, Ohio has a MANDATORY
income tax filing for any person 18 years of age or older. The tax rate is 1% with a 1/4% credit for taxes paid to other cities. Village income tax forms must be postmarked by April 15th.
There is a $25.00 late filing penalty per month
, up to $150.00 per return.
In January, tax forms are mailed to every resident who is on file with our office. While every effort is made to notify all taxpayers required to file, it is the taxpayer’s responsibility to obtain a form. The tax forms can be obtained in the tax administrator’s office any time during office hours or at the town hall during their business hours. Forms can also be obtained from the South Amherst website, www.villageofsouthamherst.com/taxes.
Estimated payments are MANDATORY if your tax (less the credit for taxes paid to another city) is greater than $200.00. They are set up at the time of filing or at any time by informing the tax office.
The Village will honor federal extensions. If you file an extension, please inform the tax office in writing by April 15th. Failure to request an extension before the April 15th due date will result in a $25.00 late filing penalty per month.
* New Residents You will need to file a Village return based on the number of months you were a resident. Our calculations are based on whole month or half month. Only include the W2's of eages earned while a resident of the Village.
* All residents over 18 including Retirees You are required to file a return, even if no income is earned or no tax is due. Retired residents who have no taxable income are required to file an exemption certificate each year beginning in tax year 2016.
* College Students If your parents or legal guardians reside in the Village and they claim you as a dependent on their federal income tax return, your residence is also considered in the Village and you must file a return if you have any earned income. If you do not have earned income, you must complete an exemption certificate stating, in writing, that you have no earned income.
* Under 18 If you were employed in the Village and your employer withheld Village taxes, please send us your W2 statement along with a copy of your birth certificate or driver’s license. A refund will be issued to you.
* Moving out? Please notify the tax office as soon as possible so that a tax form can be mailed to your new address. You will need to file for the portion of the year that you were a resident here and finalize your account.
The tax administrator’s office is located at 412 N. Leavitt Road, Amherst. The office hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Please feel free to call our office. We will be glad to answer any questions you may have.
NEED FREE HELP FILING VILLAGE TAXES
On Tuesday, April 2, 2019 & Tuesday April 9, 2019 from 5:00 P.M. - 6:30 P.M., Peck and Gambish Certified Public Accountants will be at the South Amherst Village Hall to prepare your Village local taxes. You may also visit Peck & Gambish at their office for them to prepare your Village taxes. No appointment necessary. This free service is for local village taxes only. Please bring in all of your W2 statements, 1099’s and a complete copy of your federal return including federal schedules such as C (sole proprietorship), and E pages 1 and 2 (rental income, partnership, or 1120S income).
Town Hall: 103 W Main St.
South Amherst, OH 44001
Tax Administrator’s Office: 412 N. Leavitt Rd. Phone: (440) 988-2877
Amherst, OH 44001 Fax: (440) 988-3535
Village of South Amherst income tax returns or extension requests are due by April 15th.
They can be dropped off at Town Hall or the Tax Administrators Office. Village income tax returns can be prepared at the tax administrator’s office, free of charge. Normal business hours are M-F 8am to 5pm. From February 1 – April 15, they have extended week night of Monday and Thursday 8am – 7pm, Tuesday and Wednesday 8am – 6pm and Saturday hours of 8 am to 4 pm. You can call or email them with any questions. They also come to town hall for your convenience, usually two evenings in the two weeks prior to April 15th.
You may now pay your Village of South Amherst income tax payments right here on our village website just by clicking the "Pay Now" button below. This will take you to our payment website to set up your bank account information to utilize this feature. If you have any questions, please call us at 440-986-2222. This is a new feature for us, and we hope that you find this helpful. To pay your bill, simply click the "Pay Now" button below.
CURRENT TAX INFORMATION
Individual/Net Profit Forms
General Information 2019:
Amended Substitute HB5 Information